First Time Attendees
What to Expect
- Meet those who have shaped and changed the field of microscopy and imaging, in life sciences, physical sciences and engineering across all microscopy and imaging techniques
- Network with mentors, professors and students – all of whom share your passion for microscopy and imaging.
- Seize the opportunity to forge relationships with potential future colleagues and collaborative partners for your research.
- Dress the part. Attire for the congress is business casual.
- Attend the sessions that interest you. There just won’t be time to see and do everything, so focus on the things you are most passionate about, rather than trying to attend every session.
- Check out the hands-on equipment on the Learning Zone. These are great ways to learn more and improve your skills. Yes, please leave this in as we’re hoping to have some equipment on the Learning Zone.
- Socialise! Attend social events. Quite simply, this is the best way to network and get to know the people you ought to stay in touch with. emc2020 plays host to a gala dinner, a 5km team relay race, and drinks receptions to help you network in a more relaxed setting.
- Check out the programme online in advance. Plan which sessions you wish to attend and familiarise yourself with their general location.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You’ll probably be on your feet a fair bit, so don’t let them get sore – a sure-fire way to ruin any day!
- Remember to visit the Exhibition, Workshops, Scientific Imaging Competition Display and Poster Villages
- Download the app. It’s a mobile and fast way to view the programme while you are attending sessions.
- Find time to get out and about. Explore the beautiful city of Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark! The most bike-friendly city in the world boasts fantastic Nordic cuisine, royal castles and palaces, the world’s second-oldest operating theme park, and beautiful Scandinavian architecture.
- Book your hotel. Make booking easy and take advantage of the exclusive rates offered through Reservation Highway.
- Share your experience via social media and use hashtag #emc2020
- Look out for the ‘first timers’ area! A First Timers area will be signposted at the Welcome Drinks on the Sunday. This is a great opportunity to find out more information, network with other newcomers, and meet some of the organisers who can answer any questions you may have. Look out for the sign saying ‘First time at an emc!’